Yesterday as I said I would, I did 2 workouts, ok more like 1.5 workouts. The morning workout was great. I did a 25 minute interval run and 4 rounds of a 3 workout ab workout. My abs were sore all day and I felt great about the whole thing. BUT I was then in training all day which normally means getting out if work early but instead we stayed until 5:30 and I had not packed enough food. My Afternoon workout in which I had planned shoulders and 30 mins of cardio was definitely impacted, I instead did 15 minutes of cardio and the full shoulder workout which left me with an awesome pump. The workout(s) went like this:
Morning fasted cardio and abs
Interval run at 1 minute speed changes as follows
|Minute||Speed in MPH|
Then I did 4 rounds of:
- Regular crunches x 20
- Side plank with hip ups x 12 each side
- Bicycle x 30 nice and slow
Afternoon shoulder workout
- 5 minute warm up on treadmill
- Superset 1 (4 rounds) – A) Seated dumbbell military press x 15 B) Upright rows x 15
- Superset 2 (4 rounds) – A) Lateral dumbbell raises x 15 B) Bent over rear deltoid raises x 12
- 1 set of 200 pulses with arms at shoulder level and moving in and out from in front to beside the body (easy at first, gets may harder by the end and gives a lot of blood flow to the area)
- 1 more set of dumbbell lateral raises x 30 reps
- 15 minutes on the stairmaster
I was exhausted when I got home and made a dismally depressing dinner of some turkey meatloaf muffins and raw veggies, but I did decide to boiled some eggs and that is what the basis for my awesome lunch today is!
Egg/avo/bacon in lettuce wraps
Ingredients (for 1 serving):
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/4 avocado
- 3 lettuce “wraps” or leaves
- 2-3 slices cooked bacon
- Salt and pepper
- Mash the avocado in a bowl and season with salt and pepper (I made a double batch so used half an avocado and 4 eggs)
- Grate the hard-boiled eggs with a cheese grater (or chop them up) and mix this in with the avocado
- distribute the mixture onto your lettuce wraps and top with the bacon.
Nutritional Info: Cals – 295 Carbs – 4 g Fat – 23 g (ya I know that’s crazy) Protein – 17 g
This was absolutely delicious, very high fat, but low-ish calories and very low carb so this is not for the fat-phobic people out there OR people who think sodium is bad (which it isn’t as I explain here). You could also decrease the fat and increase the protein by using 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites (for this just slice the hard-boiled eggs in half and remove the yolk before grating) and decrease the amount of avocado used, or just replace the bacon with some turkey or something, but bacon is delicious, so really think hard before doing that! 😉 Also, fat is not bad for you anyways, well processed bacon fat is, but pasture raised bacon isn’t, avocado fat is amazing for your skin, and egg yolks are where all the vitamins are stored. So just keep the portion size reasonable and enjoy the satiety and deliciousness of the 3 different sources of fat in this meal.
Just in case you are wondering, my brain seems to be functioning a little better today. I managed to wake up at 5:30 am and get in a 50 minute stairmaster session with a nice long stretch before work and will be doing a leg workout after work. I am not dragging the same way I was yesterday and I think we are ending sooner so hopefully the afternoon workout will go better than yesterday’s.
As an aside, I have been reading Mark’s Daily Apple recently and am really liking his approach to paleo living. I might give it a try after my competition. Any thoughts?