It’s day 1 of the 21 day sugar detox and so far so good. I have had a couple spoons of almond butter and chunks of cheese to snack on instead of fruit or some granola and I have a pot of beef and leek stew simmering away on the stove.
I have been looking at some different recipes on Pinterest since I didn’t have time to go grocery shopping this weekend because I was at the wine and food show (which was awesome) and then sunday my Mom made a wonderful dinner for my boyfriend’s birthday. Unfortunately both those things resulted in me curled up on the couch with intense stomach pains and digestive distress because I thought I could eat gluten and get away with it. Well my body decided that there was zero chance that it would let me enjoy a gelato cookie sandwich or the apple crisp my mom made without serious repercussions. Today thankfully I seem to be doing ok.
In case you are wondering what a person would eat on day 1 of a 21 day sugar detox… here is my food for the day:
Breakfast: a 2 egg omelette with full fat cheese and tomatoes
Snack 1: 1/2 c. full fat, natural yogurt, 1 chopped up green apple, 2 tbsp. hemp hearts and cinnamon
Lunch: spaghetti squash with ground turkey and tomato sauce
Snack 2: 2 hard boiled eggs and a half a red pepper cut up into slices
Snack 3: random spoonfuls of almond butter and a few slices of full fat mozzarella
Dinner: Beef and Leek stew with a marrow bone stuck in it 🙂
And here is the recipe for this fabulousness that literally caused me to hum while spooning beefy goodness into my mouth!
- 1-2 lbs of stewing beef (I used 1 only because I had only thawed 1 pound but 2 pounds would be better)
- 2 tbsp butter or other cooking fat
- 1 leek
- 1 medium onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 1/4 c. of red wine vinegar
- 4-5 cups of beef broth (I used 3 cups of homemade chicken broth for the nutritional content and 2 cups of beef broth from the store for the taste)
- Spices to taste as follows: paprika, rosemary, garlic powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat the cooking fat on medium-high and brown all the meat in batches without crowding the pan.
- While the meat is browning, chop the leek into medallions and wash it thoroughly, chop the celery and onions into similar sized pieces.
- Remove the meat from the pan and toss in all the vegetables. Add in a little more fat if needed and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add back the meat and any drippings that have accumulated in bowl along with all the spices in whatever amounts seem good to you (I am sorry I have no idea how much of each I put in) then add the red wine vinegar to deglaze the pan and get up any delicious caramelization going on at the bottom of the pan.
- Let the vinegar fully evaporate and then add the broth and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for about an hour and a half.
If you want to you can also cook some marrow bones in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes and stick that in the bowl too… yum!
I’m so pleased with how this turned out and you should all make this RIGHT NOW!!! Day one is coming to an end and I’m pleased as punch!
- Day 4 – 21 Day Sugar Detox (theprimalspirit.com)