So I love cheese.
Like, a lot.
I actually made a beautiful cheese platter this weekend for my family who also loves cheese and was about to take a picture when I walked into them demolishing said cheese plate without waiting for the guests of honour. My father said that I should know by now that I’m the only one in the family with will power by way of explanation. So no pretty pictures for you, but trust me, it was gorgeous. Plus I even found these fruit “cakes” for cheese which are not cakes at all but are instead just dried fruit and nuts compressed into a cake form that you can then slice and use instead of crackers! Obviously I think this is amazing since I can’t have crackers what with gluten being evil and all.
Anyhoo, there was miraculously some cheese left over and I have had a spaghetti squash in the fridge for like 2 weeks now which needed to be used and I thought, screw tomato sauce, I want something a leeeettle more decadent… and cheesy. So I made some spaghetti squash carbonara!
“Pasta” Carbonara – Serves 3-4
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 small onion
- 4-5 cremini mushrooms (I only had 3 on hand, but more would be great)
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz hard dry cheese, grated small (like parmesan, I used a local hard sheeps cheese)
- 2 slices thick cut peameal bacon (3 strips of regular bacon which is more traditional)
- 2 small chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp cooking fat (I used bacon grease, omit this if using regular bacon)
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove the guts and seeds. Place these halves face down on a plate and microwave for 15-20 minutes or until a knife goes in with little resistance. OR cooks face down in a 350 degree over for an hour or more
- While the squash is cooking, bring out a skillet and a small sauce pan. Cook the bacon and chicken in the skillet and heat up the grease in the sauce pan.
- Dice the onion and mushrooms and sauté these in the sauce pan and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk well, add the cheese and mix together.
- Dice up the meat one down and add to the sauce pan with the veggies.
- Remove the spaghetti squash from the microwave/oven and shred the flesh with a fork so it comes out like noodles.
- Add the egg/cheese mixture to the sauce pan and immediately add the squash, mix around until the squash is coated and the egg is cooked.
- Serve and enjoy.
Nutritional Info for 1/3 of recipe: Cals: 490* Carbs: 24 grams Fats: 23 grams Protein: 50 grams
* obviously this is a little high, but I was hungry and intended to make 4 servings… oh well! If you have more control than me (despite my dad’s words, I actually have very little will power) then just multiply by 3/4 to get the info for 4 servings 😉