Question: Do you guys go through food phases?
I definitely do. It usually happens for 1 of 3 reasons:
- It’s in season and everywhere so why now buy lots while it’s affordable… think asparagus in the fall, and raspberries in the summer
- I discover a new food, completely fall in love with it and attempt to put in in everything… this happened with parsnips, kale and greek yogurt back when that was novel
- I somehow forgot that I absolutely love a certain food that I for whatever reason have completely left out of my life for ages and feel like I need to make up for lost time… this is me, right now, with Oranges.
Here’s the thing though, I don’t mean clementines, or whatever baby-fied version, I mean normal navel oranges. These are huge, juicy (when they are good), and nature has pre-sliced them! Every Christmas I’m pretty sure I eat my weight in clementines, but I don’t think I’ve bought an actual orange in… wait for it (I’ve been watching too much How I Met Your Mother)… 2 years.
So a couple of weeks ago I bought 3, and promptly demolished them. Normally, my fruit intake is mostly berries, and maybe an apple or a banana. I don’t eat that much fruit and it’s typically in a yogurt mix… oranges and yogurt is not an appealing thought. But I’m trying to stay away from dairy at the moment so whole, portable fruits are making a come back in my diet.
Enough rambling though.. aside from the fact that oranges are portable, delicious, and pre-sliced they have this host of health benefits too!
- Most famously they are super high in vitamin C which is awesome since it prevents scurvy… it’s an actual thing, not just something that sounds vaguely pirate-ish. Vitamin C also boosts immunity, is a potent antioxidant, and can have favourable effects on hypertension
- Helps prevent kidney disease and stones by reducing the risk of calcium build up.
- The citric acid when combined with dark leafy greens creates greater bioavailability of the iron. So top a salad with some orange slices for a synergistic combo of superfoods.