As you might know from past posts, I am an accountant, specifically I am an auditor (not taxes, nothing to do with taxes). Accounting is not a notoriously healthy profession. It is in fact a notoriously sedentary profession that encourages extremely long hours where the only rewards for your over time is they “treat” you to dinner. Obviously that dinner is not going to be a salad. it’s frequently greasy and definitely not on the diet. It’s a hard situation for many people in my profession who are trying to maintain a health lifestyle. You are working hard and you probably feel like you “deserve” that food as a reward. Now that isn’t specific to accountants of course. It’s something we are all do, and workplaces can be terribly difficult to navigate.
I have heard many a fellow fittie lament the fact that their office has a donut platter every Friday and there seems to be endless supplies of birthday cake (how many birthday’s can one office have?!). Not to mention that it seems for some reason that people actually take offense when you don’t partake in the treats!
So how do you navigate the workplace while keeping you figure?
Some tips that I employ are:
- For people you are working with consistently, try to explain your choices and lifestyle so they know what you are doing and why you are politely refusing the cake
- Bring enough snacks and food to get you through the whole day and maybe some overtime so you don’t get tempted by hunger
- Find someone who has similar interests to you and try to buddy up at lunch. Having support makes making healthy decisions so much easier.
- Picture yourself refusing that cookie so when it happens in real life it feels like a natural thing to do.
- Have an option for something that feels like a treat that you can go to if you need to. For me its a skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks.
I’ve been lucky to have co-workers who are interested, more than critical about my lifestyle. I’ve been even luckier to work with a girl who is also training for a competition (needless to say the conversations between us tend towards the fitness topics).
Workplaces are hard to navigate but not impossible. Stay strong and use your support network 🙂