From my inspired title you can probably tell I’m still feeling pretty (very) under the weather. But I managed to get my butt into work today and even got in a decent workout. I did a very short chest and tri’s workout that got me a great pump and then hopped on the elliptical for 30 minutes, followed by the stairmaster for 30 minutes. Yes I did an hour of cardio.
If you have been following me you might recall that I was not planning on doing hours of LISS (low intensity steady state) cardio. Well turns out trying to do circuit style workouts AND HIIT cardio puts a hell of a lot of strain on you central nervous system and makes you want to crawl in a hole and sleep forever. Who knew? It’s also most definitely NOT recommended for you to do high intensity anything while you are sick because it puts stress on your body and will make your recovery waaaaay longer. So I will be doing between 45 mins to an hour of LISS cardio until I feel back to 100%, then I will start alternating and doing 20 minutes of HIIT 2-3 times a week and LISS on the other days.
This is much more cardio than I had planned, but I’m really struggling to drop weight so “needs must”. Because I know that this much steady state cardio will have an impact on my metabolism I have to make sure that I don’t just stop doing cardio cold turkey after my competition. Just like a reverse diet, I will have to reverse out of my cardio too. First by dropping the duration, and then the frequency. Hopefully by doing so I will not gain a lot of weight back and will be able to build back my metabolism.
Anyways, that enough whining for one day.. on to food!!!
I wanted tacos the other day… actually that’s a lie, I wanted nachos because the cheese to everything else ratio on nachos tends to be a million times better, or maybe that’s just the way I make nachos. Regardless, nacho/fajita/taco/mexican type food was wanted and I needed to make it low carb. So I asked my boyfriend to pick up some ingredients like ground turkey, bibb lettuce and taco seasoning so I could make tacos and wrap them in lettuce… voila low carb tacos. And he graciously agreed… and then proceeded to forget to do that entirely, haha, happens to the best of us. So when I got home there were no makings of tacos to be had, but gosh darn it I wanted something mexican tasting. So I made this salad and it hit the spot perfectly, so sometimes things work out just fine 🙂 And now you can make this taco inspired salad even when you don’t have anything that you would normally make tacos with.
Low Carb Taco Salad (serves 1)
- 6 oz chicken breast (or whatever amount you need based on your macros/diet)
- Some sort of taco/buffalo/spicy seasoning – I had buffalo chicken seasoning in the cupboard so that’s what I used
- 2 cups salad greens
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/4 cup non fat greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 1/2 oz grated cheddar cheese
- Season Chicken with taco/whatever seasoning you are using to imitate taco seasoning and cook either in a skillet or the oven (I assume you all know how to cook chicken breasts – just cook ’em!)
- Mix greek yogurt and as much of the seasoning as you want together to your tastes, mine was pretty spicy!
- Cut the red pepper into strips and arrange on top of salad greens, then slice up the chicken and top with the salsa, greek yogurt and cheddar cheese.
Super simple, but so satisfying!
Nutritional Info: Cals – 345 Carbs – 12 g Fat – 9 g Protein – 50 g!